Volunteer Information -
Helpful Procedures for an HSA Event
- Check the date your event is scheduled. Most events are already on the district calendar by summer. Committees who are part of district-wide committees (CSE, Nutrition, Art Goes to School, MLK Day, etc.) should check in with the District committees on www.lmsd.org as they do the scheduling for meetings, events, etc.
- If you are new to chairing your position, reach out to the prior chairperson to learn what was needed, what worked well, and what didn’t work well. Conversely, at the end of the year, make sure to leave a file with directions in good order, including computer files and a detailed “To Do” list for your successor. These files can be uploaded to our website by emailing email@example.com.
- Meet with your board liaison (an HSA President or Vice President) to review your event plans about a month in advance (more or less depending on how large the event is and whether you need advance time for pre-sale of item/tickets). Your board liaison will communicate with Dr. Albanese to resolve any issues, and keep Toby informed.
- The Executive Board will use email as much as possible to provide HSA business updates and reminders to committee chairpeople during the year. Please make sure the Executive Board has a current email address for you.
- Attend the HSA meeting before and after your event to keep information flowing. If this isn’t possible ask another board member to report for you. Please let us know beforehand so we can add you to the agenda. Please keep in mind that the HSA meetings are for reporting purposes, and questions you have should be resolved prior to the meetings. Make every effort to be brief, so all attending have their opportunity to speak.
- If you are making purchases, please remember Merion HSA is a 501(c)(3) organization and has the tax exempt number, 23-7384568. Please use the Pennsylvania Rev- 1220 form to make a tax exempt purchase. A signed copy is available here. Remember to check with customer service before going to a cash register. Many stores require that you file the Rev-1220 form at customer service in advance of your purchase. Additionally, many stores already have our tax exempt status on file. Check first before filing for tax exempt status again.
- If you need a cashbox for the event, please notify the Payables Treasurer at least a week in advance to get them ready.
- Please turn in your receipts using the Reimbursement Form. If you have questions, please email the HSA Payables Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are planning on using the cafeteria (pizza dinner, breakfast, etc), you must speak with or email the school Head Custodian and the school Cafeteria Manager at least two weeks in advance for set up and questions. Also let Right at School know (which uses the cafeteria) know as a courtesy to them (email@example.com).
- If you are planning on using any other spaces, please let the school Head Custodian know at least a week in advance.
- Make sure all incoming checks have written on them what the money is for, and for which child, and contact the HSA Receivables Treasurer to coordinate getting the money to her.
We thank you for all that you do and would like you to know that we greatly appreciate you sharing your time and talents with our children. Remember we are all volunteers working to better our children’s environment. Please keep your emails and communications polite and civil. We are all on the same (unpaid) team.