About the Home & School Association
The Merion Home and School Association (HSA) serves as the liaison between parents, the school, and the school district. We strive to provide an opportunity for discussion of issues important to our community, as well as a support network for the school.
As a parent of a Merion student, you are considered a member of the HSA, and as such are asked to support it by paying annual dues of $20 per family, which includes one directory. These dues help defray the costs of the events and programs that enrich our students' experiences at Merion such as Classroom Enrichment Funds, which teachers may use for classroom supplies, book or special events such as field trips.
Through various fundraising activities and a high level of volunteerism from Merion families, the HSA is able to sponsor many events:
- International Night - The first ever International Night at Merion was held on June 5, 2012. Merion families representing over 24 countries displayed their traditional foods, art & craft, dress and music in a colorful event that filled the halls of Merion. Despite the busy time of the year, hundreds of our Merion family members attended the event.
- Spanish Festival - Each April the FLES teacher holds a Spanish Festival for grades 2- 5 during the school day. The HSA supports the festival with additional funding and volunteers.
- Artist-In- Residence - The HSA sponsors a professional artist (from any discipline) for a month's residency in the school. This program enriches classroom learning by involving the students and staff and sometimes leads to the contribution of artwork to the school itself. Project have produced the stained glass windows in the auditorium lobby, as well as the bottle cap mosaic.
- Assemblies - Two or three assembles are sponsored every year by the HSA. They are selected to enhance the classroom curriculum or enrich cultural awareness through music, dance or story telling.
- Visiting Author - Each year, the librarian books a popular children's author to visit the school, give an interactive presentation and sign books.
- Aquaponics - The HSA is pleased to support aquaponics tanks in most of the third grade classrooms. Aquaponics refers to any system that combines conventional aquaculture with hydroponics in a symbiotic environment.
HSA Meeting Minutes
October 15, 2020
October 15, 2020